"Small Shops Cre-Action Lab"
Known for its diversity and varied heritage, Yau Tsim Mong has developed a distinctive culture of its own. Forming the very fabric of this community are the small stores and shops. Much more than a commercial space, they serve as platforms for connections and neighbourly support, embodying the essence of urban culture. Amid the gloom of the pandemic, how might we leverage the valued social capital of small shops to lift community spirits? What new possibilities might it open up when we tap into the power of our collective creativity and turn Yau Tsim Mong into a testing ground?
[Small Shops Cre-Action Lab] is a two-month community innovation programme where we invite community members to embark on an exciting co-creation journey.
Kickstarting this journey is the “Co-learning Workshop”. The first of the two Design Thinking-based workshops, this workshop guides participants through the multiple facets of Yau Tsim Mong. Participants will hear from guest speakers, hop on a community tour to connect with local shops, and learn to read more deeply into the cultural and urban landscape of Yau Tsim Mong. In the “Co-ideation Workshop” that follows, participants will partner with local shops to pilot creative ideas, big or small.
Upon completing the two workshops, participants will receive seed funding and guidance from seasoned social innovation mentors as they transform ideas into prototypes. Towards the end of the programme, participants share their final products or actions with the broader community.
We welcome all forms of experiments. So join us, and test out your bold ideas.
- Guest Sharing: Hear from special guests as they provide unique insights into the culture and everyday life of Yau Tsim Mong.
- Community Cultural Tour: Explore the nooks and crannies of Yau Tsim Mong and uncover fascinating community stories hidden within.
- Experiment with Small Shops: Co-create innovative and fun experiments using Design Thinking.
- Turn Ideas into Actions: Receive seed funding and guidance from seasoned social innovation mentors.
2022/09/24 Co-learning Workshop
2022/10/02 Co-ideation Workshop
2022/10/03 - 11/06 Co-creation Period
2022/11/12 Sharing Day
*Participants must complete the entire journey
Programme period: September to November, 2022
Target: Community members (Priority will be given to Yau Tsim Mong residents)
Language: The programme will be conducted primarily in Cantonese
Charge: Upon the confirmation of attendance, participants are required to pay a deposit of HK$500, which will be refunded upon completion of the programme.
- To sign up for the programme, please fill in and submit your registration form by 24 August 2022: https://forms.gle/jSqUA9dtBYbHE2hH9
- You may be invited to an online meet-up in late August so we can know you better, or should the applications exceed the quota intended.
- Shortlisted participants will be invited to our Kickstarter session on 16 September to confirm attendance.
Organiser: Social Enterprise Summit
Co-Organiser: Good Lab (www.goodlab.hk)
- Catholic Diocese of Hong Kong Diocesan Pastoral Centre for Workers - Kowloon (https://dpcwkln.hkccla.org.hk/)
- Life Workshop (https://lifeworkshop.org.hk)
Sponsor: Home and Youth Affairs Bureau